Saturday, October 18, 2008

The SUNDAY TIMES - 10.19.2008 - Peace versus Worry

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like
sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot,
Thou has taught me to say,
It is well,
it is well,
with my soul.
(Horatio Gates Spafford wrote this song in 1873)
This song was written so long ago, yet it applies to today. I love that. I was raised in the church and this was just a song we sang.
I understand now, how much my connection with God as my Father does give me a settledness in the things that come in my life. I have found a peace that gives me strength, even when the wind blows or I don't have the best day!
Phillipians 4:7 says
Instead of worrying, pray.
Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers,
letting God know your concerns.
Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness,
everything coming together for good,
will come and settle you down.
It's wonderful what happens when Christ
displaces worry at the center of your life.
(The Message Bible)
Thanks for visiting, Linda (lbpost)
(I took the photo in Bellevue, WA)

5 comments:

  1. This was very nice. I am a worrier by nature. So this is a gentle reminder that we don't need to worry alone. Thanks for the beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my most favorite hymns of all time. The story behind the writing of the song is quite sad but it's a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous words Linda! I so agree. I am nuch calmer and peaceful than I ever used to be and I know it is only because of His presence in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I could sweat that you're inspired to write these words and quotes for me. Thanks again for the uplift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, this post comes at such an appropriate time for me! I have been praying about something that has taken away the peace from my soul because of fear and uncertainty. However, God is so good at directing me to assurances like this to remind me that all is well when I surrender to His will and follow His direction.

    I thank the Lord for the words of encouragement in the song and above that, His precious Words of grace in Scripture that remind me how much peace we can have when we pray and allow Christ to be the center of our lives!

    Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete