Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pulling out an unused tool and Core'dinations

I wanted to use that last weeks Kazan's #26 2 Sketches 4 You sketch. I am a bit late, the new one will go up in the morning, but I still created a card with it. I just loved how different and clever it was.
Now there are a couple unique things about this card. One is this amazing piece of Core'dinations cardstock. It is BLACK MAGIC, Whammy. What that means is it is black on one side and purple on the other. AND...because it is Core'dinations cardstock, it has a core that is going to show through with embossing and sanding. And, to make it even better, the outside of the card is black but the inside is purple! How does it get better?
The 2 Sketches 4 You sketch had this adorable scallop design to the top of the card and so I punched rows of lacey borders with a Fiskars border punch. This purple is the reverse side of the black piece that I used for the main card and so that means it matches perfectly. I sanded the punched edge a bit to distress it a little so that the lacey edges stood up a bit.
Here is a close up look at the embossing. Here is another unique element of this card and that is what I used to create the embossed design. Some time ago, I picked up a rubber-type plate that is designed to be used with Sculpey clay. I ran it through my Cuttlebug with the Tan Spellbinder mats for embossing. Once embossed, all that is required is that you take a piece of sandpaper and sand until you like how much of the purple core shows through. I like to use my "pick up" eraser to pick up the resulting dust. You can also see that I sanded the edges of the card so that the purple core shows.
Here is a photo of the supplies that I used, the plate with the design on it by Sculpey and the piece of Core'dinations. You can see the black side and I am also showing the reverse, purple side.
Thanks for visiting, Linda (lbpost)

Materials:
Core'dinations cardstock, Black Magic/Whammy
Sculpey Texture Maker
Fiskars Border punch
Cuttlebug machine
Sandpaper
Label - Jenni Bowlin
Celebrate stamp - Technique Tuesday/Ali Edwards

5 comments:

  1. I got that punch and that texture, you gave me a great idea! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with the embossing and sanding. Thanks for the ideas as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty Linda! I need to pull out those unused tools more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Linda! This is stunning! You really know how to make that Core'dinations shine!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Linda, This is very pretty! What a neat idea to use the Sculpey Mats (of which I have many) to emboss CS! I will have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete